Having regular dental hygiene treatment is crucial for maintaining oral health, preventing dental issues, and contributing to overall well-being. We recommend you have a hygiene ideally combined with a dental- check up to prevent or reverse potential gum disease.
Regular visits for a dental hygiene and examination combined with proper at-home oral care, can help you maintain a healthy and beautiful smile while preventing potential health complications
What is hygiene treatment?
A hygiene treatment is when your dentist or hygienist professionally cleans your teeth and gums thoroughly, removing any plaque build-up using an ultrasonic device; a scaler followed by a polish of your teeth. So, what does it mean to have a scale & polish done?
- Step 1:
The scaler is an electric high-speed device that removes plaque and tartar build-up from your teeth, by emitting a jet of water, making it possible to reach and clean areas you cannot reach with brushing, such as in between your teeth.
- Step 2:
Once scaling has been completed, your teeth are being polished with abrasive polishing paste applied on a device similar to an electric toothbrush but with faster rotation. This removes any residual surface stains from your teeth and plaque biofilm, leaving a smooth, clean surface.
No matter how often you brush your teeth or which toothbrush you use, you will not be able to reach every single part of your mouth and plaque will still find somewhere to build up. Left to develop, plaque will turn into tartar and eventually attract other bacteria which can cause potential problems. The good news about gum disease is that it can be treated and better so, prevented.
Why is it important to have hygiene treatment regularly?
- To prevent common dental problems like cavities and gum disease. By having plaque and tartar buildup removed, the risk of these issues developing becomes very low.
- It helps maintain good oral health. HAving a good oral hygiene is a fundamental part of your overall health. Dental issues can lead to systemic problems if left untreated, as bacteria from the mouth can enter the bloodstream and affect other parts of the body.
- Your dentist can detect early signs of dental issues during routine check-ups. Treating a dental problem at an early stage allows for less invasive and less expensive treatment options.
- To prevent gum disease. Gum disease, such as gingivitis and periodontitis, can lead to tooth loss and other health complications. Dental plaque and bacteria is key for developing a gum disease. Therefore it is essential to have regular dental cleanings to remove plaque and bacteria that contribute to gum disease.
- Prevent halitosis (bad breath)by removing bacteria build up.
- Cost effective. Prevention is generally less expensive than treating advanced dental problems.
- Aesthetic Benefits: A thorough professional cleaning of your teeth can enhance the appearance of your teeth and smile, giving self-confidence a boost.
How often should I have hygiene treatment?
At Bell Yard Dental we recommend you have your teeth and gums thoroughly cleaned ideally every 6-10 months by your dentist or hygienist. Detecting any oral health problems at an early stage makes it easier to avoid invasive dental treatment in the future.
Contact Bell Yard Dental 020 7831 1002 today to book your hygiene treatment by clicking here.
Nervous visiting the dentist? Do you suffer from dental phobia?
We understand that visiting the dentist can be a source of anxiety or fear for some individuals, and we want to assure you that you’re not alone in feeling this way. We are here to support you every step of the way and make your dental experience as comfortable and stress-free as possible.
Before your appointment, please let us know about any worries or fears you may have so that we can tailor our approach to meet your needs. Our friendly and experienced team is here to help you.